Why be a Festival Campaigner?
Campaigning at festivals provides some of the best opportunities to reach a huge audience with news of our work; and we try to do it as creatively as possible. Over the years we've painted people blue, asked festival goers to write to their MP about the refugee crisis and last year we spoke about the effects that fast fashion has on the environment.
- Work with the team to promote Oxfam’s campaign and related activities at the festival.
- Take part in creative activities that engage festival goers in the campaign.
- Act as an ambassador to Oxfam, confidently promoting our work to end poverty.
What are we looking for?
Are you friendly? Passionate? Confident? Approachable? Could you talk to people you don’t know about Oxfam’s work? Could you inspire others to get involved with Oxfam? It you are then this is a role for you. We’re looking for the skills and experience below from our volunteers (HINT – please talk about these in your applications):
- Passionate and enthusiatic about Oxfam’s work
- Able to engage and inspire people you don’t know when talking about Oxfam
- Strong team player and happy to work in a team
- Results driven and personally committed to engaging with as many festival goers as possible to maximize success
- Friendly, reliable and trustworthy.
- Happy working in a festival environment (rain or shine!)
What you get in return
- Crew entry to the festival
- Great shifts (4 x 6 hour daytime shifts)
- Staff campsite, meal vouchers & hot showers
- Training and experience
- Onsite support from Oxfam staff
- Chance to have fun and meet new people!
Your commitment to Oxfam
This role is a fun way to volunteer, but it does require a certain level of commitment. You will be required to:
- Participate in online training before the festival starts.
- Work at least one festival (of course!) – You must work two festivals if you are going to Glastonbury.
- Be committed to meeting campaign sign up targets.
- Be ready and enthusiastic to complete 4 shifts of 6 hours at each festival.
How to apply
Complete the online application form and pay your deposit. This form provides an opportunity for you to demonstrate how you meet the skills and competencies outlined in the “What we are looking for?” section. Your application will be scored against these. We will be asking you the following:
Why me? Please give a brief description (no more than 500 words) of why you’re right for this role, giving examples of any skills and experience that will convince us to get you on board.
Introduce yourself – In less than two minutes, create a short video of yourself;
- Telling us about one of Oxfam's campaigns or issues we work on
- Why you think it is important
- How you would ask someone to get involved to support Oxfam’s work
- Please upload it as an unlisted file to YouTube and paste the URL address into the box below. If you are having any problems with this please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We often receive a high volume of applications for festival campaigners, so please apply early. As part of the selection process, we may also contact applicants by phone to discuss their application in more detail.
All volunteers will be required to participate in pre-event training before arriving on site. This training will be held online and details will be communicated via email following a successful application. This training will be led by your campaign coordinator and is compulsory training required for 2020.
We will also have on-site training before campaigning at a festival which will be our chance to meet everyone in the team properly, talking through the campaign in more depth, and practice before we go into the festival. We want to make sure that you go out feeling confident, prepared and part of a passionate and committed team.
What happens after submitting your application form?
After submitting your application form, you will receive an email from Oxfam: this will confirm your application and deposit.
We will review all applications a few weeks after launch and aim to get back to you to confirm festival places within a month. You will then be sent a second email to tell you whether you have been successful and what the next steps are.