Scottish festival-goers join the human chain to #StandAsOne with refugees
This summer we’re taking the Stand As One campaign to festivals and events around Scotland.
For this campaign, we are asking festival goers to #StandAsOne with Oxfam, joining a global human chain in support of people who have fled conflict, poverty and disaster.
Oxfam campaigners all over the world are calling on world leaders attending the UN summit on refugees and migrants in September to do more to save and protect lives. Our campaigns team are asking festival goers to sign a petition, have their photo taken to join the chain (picture a paper chain of people standing in a row, but made up real people!), and to write letters to refugees arriving in Scotland with Refuweegee. We are also calling on the UK government to:
- Change the rules to keep refugee families together
- Change the rules so people can travel safely to claim asylum
- Welcome more people who have lost everything into the UK, giving them a chance to build a future
- Do more to help the developing countries that are sheltering the majority of the world’s refugees
We’ve already been to Kelburn Garden Party in Largs, where our volunteer campaigners had fantastic conversations about the importance of showing solidarity with people who have been forced to flee. Over 200 people signed our #StandAsOne petition.
We also had a great day at Eid Fun Day in Glasgow – despite the rain! Another 80 signatures were added, as well as lots of letters welcoming new arrivals to Scotland.
The Oxfam Scotland campaigning team will be at:
- Mugstock, Milngavie – 29-31 July
- Belladrum, Inverness – 5-7 August
- Doune the Rabbit Hole, Stirling – 19-21 August
If you’re going to be partying at the festivals, come and chat to us! We will also have lovely FairTrade goodies and snacks for sale at our stall, and face painting for kids.
If you can’t make it to the festivals, don’t worry – you can still sign the petition and join the human chain. Just visit www.oxfam.org.uk/stand
Did we we take your photo at a festival? Find it here